A lot of people think that selling books on Amazon is a difficult process, but it really doesn't have to be. This blog post will take you through the simple steps you need to follow in order to sell your books on Amazon and make more money from them!
One of the biggest misconceptions about selling books on Amazon is that it's a pretty difficult process, but it's honestly quite the opposite. Books are one of the easiest things you can sell on Amazon because they only require a title and author, and if it's in print then there is no need for a UPC or ISBN number either!
Let's start with the basics. What kind of book should you sell? Books can be on any topic, and they have to meet one of the following criteria in order to qualify for sale:
- The book is currently available as a new hardcover or paperback release. Books that were published over three years ago will not sell well because there are too many books currently being sold on Amazon with similar titles.
- Books must be written by an author who has another title already available through Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) Books Content Program; this helps ensure customer satisfaction. If you're looking to publish your own work, it's best not to use KDP Books but instead opt for self-publishing platforms like CreateSpace which gives you greater control of distribution, pricing options, and royalties!
- Books must be priced between $0.99 and $200; this includes both print books as well as eBooks published through KDP Books Content Program (ePub files). Books with higher prices are eligible for sale on Amazon but will take longer to rank high enough that they start selling consistently.
Now before we get started listing your book, it's important to think about the keywords you want to include. Amazon is a search engine just like Google, and including relevant keywords in your title will help customers find your work more quickly!
It's also worth noting that authors should avoid publishing too many titles at once because there needs to be some time before new releases can sell again - so if you publish one book every six months or so then all of those titles are eligible to be sold on Amazon.
You will need your book's title, a description of the content inside it, and an indication if you're publishing in print or as an eBook through KDP Books Content Program. This is all that's required for the listing!
So now that your book has been listed, what can you do to ensure it sells? Books are only going to sell if customers know about them, which is why it's important to track your sales and adjust the price when necessary.
- Books that have been selling for a while will often rank higher because they've had more time to accumulate reviews - so be sure you don't wait too long before getting started on marketing! Start by utilizing Amazon Marketing Services (AMS) like Sponsored Products Ads or Product Display Ads in order to reach potential new readers who might not otherwise find out about your book.
- If people aren't buying or reviewing your books then it may actually make sense to lower the price of those titles even further until you start seeing some traction. This can help increase exposure among users who would likely buy at any price point, as they will see your book in more categories on Amazon!
- Books that are selling too well should be raised to a slightly higher price. This can help prevent you from running out of inventory and it also prevents the competition from taking over sales opportunities for books with similar titles.
To recap: Books don't have to be difficult to sell on Amazon - just make sure you follow these easy steps before publishing yo